Monday, March 8, 2010

Seems Like a Lifetime...

...and yet it seems like it was just yesterday. Four years ago today, I lost my dad. My whole world shattered. It was and probably will always be the worst day of my life. I miss him like crazy. Every girl needs her daddy.

My dad and I were really close, I felt like I could talk to him about anything and we did almost everything together. We made trips to the hardware store, holding hands as we walked through the parking lot and the trip always ended up with us sharing a Hershey's bar with almonds. Or the times we would go to lunch at some hole in the wall with amazing food because my dad ate like it was his job. Or when we drove around in the car singing along to the soundtrack for Fiddler on the Roof at the top of our lungs. Or when I would break the lawn mower and we would have to try and figure out how to fix it and make it last just a little bit longer. Or the time I wanted a playhouse and halfway through we ran out of wood, so I had half of a floor and half of a roof and of course they were on opposite sides, but I had a door! One of my fave memories is when he would drive down this old country road in his little white toyota truck after it rained and he would let me get in the bed of the truck and he would hit every puddle possible. I would laugh like crazy and he would try to hit the puddles harder so I would get even wetter and I would laugh harder.

My dad taught me how to be strong and brave and to fight for everything. He (and my mom) taught me that if you want something you have to work hard for it and that no matter what you did, an honest day of work anywhere was something to be proud of. My dad fought til the very end and I could not be more proud than to call him my dad. I still regret that last night, not waking him up to give him one more hug, kiss, and an I love you. I would give anything for just one more hug or conversation with him. There is so much that he was supposed to teach me and so many stories that I didn't hear enough.

The best piece of advice my dad gave me was that there are 3 types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch what happen, and those that wonder what happened. This always motivates me to just get out there and try something, you never know what will happen if you just try.

I love you daddy and I miss you. I still wish you were here and I hope you are proud of me. And don't forget, you can't haunt me, it isn't funny!


This was created by my dad, along with Grant Burgers. It's at the San Diego Fair, LA county fair and Orange County fair. I've worked there twice and I loved it. So proud of my daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment